Creative in Context
Submitted by one of our partners/colleagues – Jeff Haggin, principal at Haggin Marketing, Inc. If you’re not familiar with the Haggin Marketing, Inc., they are the acknowledged experts in putting together catalogs and retail advertising that is designed for high impact but more importantly to make the product leap off the page into the prospects’ living rooms or offices.
Since we don’t do creative here at Firewhite, it’s nice to plug one of our partners who does!
- “If it doesn’t sell, it isn’t creative.”- David Ogilvy
- “Yes, I sell people things they don’t need. I can’t, however, sell them something they don’t want. Even with advertising. Even if I were of a mind to.” – John O’Toole
- “Let’s say you have $1,000,000 tied up in your little company and suddenly your advertising isn’t working and sales are going down. And everything depends on it. Your future depends on it, your family’s future depends on it, other people’s families depend on it. Now, what do you want from me? Fine writing? Or do you want to see the goddamned sales curve stop moving down and start moving up?”- Rosser Reeves
- “I think that I shall never see
An ad so lovely as a tree.
But if a tree you have to sell,
It takes an ad to do that well.” – Jef I. Richards
- “A good advertisement is one which sells the product without drawing attention to itself.” – David Ogilvy
- “Word of mouth is the best medium of all.” – William Bernbach
- “Many manufacturers secretly question whether advertising really sells their product, but are vaguely afraid that their competitors might steal a march on them if they stopped.” – David Ogilvy
- “Ninety-nine percent of advertising doesn’t sell much of anything.” – David Ogilvy
- “A good ad which is not run never produces sales.” – Leo Burnett
- “Chances are that neither the client nor the agency will ever know very much about what role the ad has played in sales or profits of the client, either short-term or long-term.” – Michael Schudson
- “Don’t confuse selling with art.” – Jack Taylor
- “In the modern world of business, it is useless to be a creative,
original thinker unless you can also sell what you create.” – David Ogilvy
- “No, sir, I’m not saying that charming, witty and warm copy won’t sell.
I’m just saying I’ve seen thousands of charming, witty campaigns that didn’t
sell.” – Rosser Reeves